LVAAS - THE LEHIGH VALLEY AMATEUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY: Promoting, Facilitating and Teaching Astronomy Since 1957
Login

Welcome to LVAAS, Anonymous
Saturday, December 07 2019 @ 06:43 pm EST

Forum Index > Facilities - South Mountain and Pulpit Rock > Pulpit Rock
 Radio Telescope? Neat!
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: EBorinsky () on Saturday, February 04 2006 @ 06:23 pm EST (Read 3736 times)  
Anonymous: EBorinsky

Will most likely be joining as a member this spring. Currently own a 2.5" refractor, and a 4" reflector. Was perusing the site and found that you all had a radio telescope out at Pulpit Rock.

This caught my attention, as I have 11 years field experience with radio equipment dealing with HF thru low-band microwave, gained by working radio telecomm in the USAF. Everything from black-box maintenance down to component-level analog and digital RF device repair.

Would be interested in hearing from any other amateur radioscope users in the vicinity.

By: Anonymous: MikeEddinger () on Sunday, February 05 2006 @ 12:15 am EST  
Anonymous: MikeEddinger

E,
The radio telescope is currently not operational. It has been a work in progress for several years, and it had a brief life a while back. Renovations to the trailer it will be housed in have held things up, but those renovations have been progressing recently.
We look forward to you joining. We can always use more help.
Mike

By: Anonymous: dmurphy () on Wednesday, February 08 2006 @ 12:23 am EST  
Anonymous: dmurphy

E-

As a member of the Radio Telescope committee let me give you a little more information.

The 10' dish shown on the website has been taken down to allow roofing and other structural work on the trailer. The 10' dish will not be reinstalled as part of the project at Pulpit Rock, we will be using a recently acquired 12' dish instead and it will be mounted on a support tower that is currently being planned. The area of the trailer previously dedicated to the dish has been used to house a recently installed 12" LX200 GOTO scope.
A good candidate for the software that you mentioned in your other posting!

The 10' dish will likely be installed at South Mountain.

You will be joining the society at an exciting time. We are currently planning for what we hope to be a year full of progress and accomplishments! As Mike said we are always looking for help and I'm glad to hear that you have an interest in this project!

All times are EST. The time is now 06:43 pm.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content