4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 3196 times)  

I am considering purchasing a large Dobsonian scope. Something in the 15" to 18" range. Possibly an Obsession or Discovery scope. However, I need to actually see through one first. I know that the great photos shown on their sites are not even close to what I would actually view. My question is: Are there any members here who have one that they bring to the club star parties? This is a huge investment.

Hi Michael,

We have a 17-inch Dob at our Pulpit Rock site. I had the pleasure of using it in July. Through it, I was able to see objects that I had never seen before, such as the Ring Nebula, the Veil Nebula and the Whirlpool Galaxy.

From one newbie to another: I think you are wise not to buy anything until you have a chance to try one of the scopes that you are evaluating or something comparable. Talk to club members about the telescopes that they bought or made, and why. One thing that I learned when I first started in this hobby is that there are trade-offs: for example, big Dobs pull in lots of light but they usually aren't very portable.

.. Bill

I see that there is a star party scheduled for Nov 13. But aren't they held at South Mountain? When would I be able to see through the 17" at Pulpit Rock?

Mike,

We don't hold public events at Pulpit Rock but you are welcome to join LVAAS. As a member you are eligible to receive keys to the gate at Pulpit Rock and also the observatories. We have a few large scopes at Pulpit Rock as well as our headquarters at South mountain. You may wish to try these out before making a purchase. We also have rental telescopes available for LVAAS members. These are a variety of portable telescopes that we are upgrading to allow our members to experience different types of mounts, telescope designs and electronics. Our next meeting at South Mountain is Sunday, November 14 at 7:00 PM. Hope to see you there.

Bill

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1