10 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 7382 times)  

Hi all,

Looking for opinions here, the Orion StarShoot II color CCD camera is now on sale for $300. Is this a good camera? Anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Tim,
Was thinking of that myself due to the problems with the Meade cameras and Windows Vista. I believe Simon has another version of the Orion Starshoot. We'll have to ask his opinion.

bill

Hello Bill,

Three hundred for a cooled CCD is definitely a deal. That said, I've never really met a cheap color CCD that I liked, including the StarShoot. The plus side is that the camera is fairly light weight and can be operated with a single USB cable (the second cable is power for cooling). The other good point is that it is also available in a mono version for the same price. The mono version is probably a lot more sensitive, most likely make an excellent guide camera (still at a great price point) once you move on to bigger and better things. Heck, I'm tempted to buy one myself.

Warning this my opinion, FWIW. I have used the Orion color CCD, but not their monochrome camera. I have used other cameras with the Sony 1/2" chip and they performed well.

Thanks Mike, I was looking at the mono version last night and trying to decide if I wanted to go the color filter wheel route. I think your right - probably better resolution and sensitivity on the mono version. Looks like I'm sliding down the slippery slope.

Bill

Hi all,

I guess my question has been answered, thanks, but it brings another two questions:

I currently shoot with the Meade LPI, the CCD sensor is not much bigger in the STarShoot II, so am I going to see a big improvement?

Also, am I going to be able to shoot DSO's with this camera or that left for the big boy cameras?

Thanks all,
Tim

[quote="tim_rein"]

I currently shoot with the Meade LPI, the CCD sensor is not much bigger in the STarShoot II, so am I going to see a big improvement?

Also, am I going to be able to shoot DSO's with this camera or that left for the big boy cameras?

[/quote]
Where you'll see the improvement is dynamic range, lower noise and much longer exposure capability. Yes you will be able to image DSO's

Mike

Tim,

Just reading some reviews on this camera and it looks like there's a compatibility problem with a MAC. Ypu might want to check it out first.

Bill

Hi all,

OK another question - if I get the B&W version, how do I change the color filters without affecting the alignment of the camera and scope?

Tim

Hey Tim,

That's easy - just spend more money. You'll need a color filter wheel and filters (extra $) to fit between the camera and focuser. The filter wheel comes in a manual and automatic version.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Right, saw that gizmo...cost more than the camera does! I guess one-shot color is not too bad now Big Grin

Tim

10 posts :: Page 1 of 1