28 posts :: Page 3 of 3
By: Likes:

Mike, are you volunteering to run the show?

James, the short answer is NO. I simply meant I'd try and participate in an on-line study group if one materialized. I would however prefer a face-to-face group meeting if possible.

I did notice that we have a new and imporved forum. I don't remember (another reason I don't want to lead more activities) who was supposed to do the upgrade, but whoever it was.....great job and many thanks.

Mike T

Sorry, during the upgrade process, the original post I made on this topic was lost. Yes, I'm the guilty party doing the upgrades, so it's fitting that I should lose one of my posts.

Having said that, I wasn't suggesting I lead the program. However, there are a number of podcasts and such now that have lectures from Universities on astronomy that are free. I thought that might be interesting to try out.

Thanks,
David Gwyn

• StellarVue SVS-130
  • SBIG STF-8300M
  • SBIG FW8-8300 Filter Wheel
  • Paramount MyT mount

Chatty

That's a great idea. Glad I thought of it Big Grin

Do you have any links?

And if I can just find links to on-line fishing lessons I'll be in heaven Laughing Out Loud

Here's a link to the author's web site:

http://www.williams.edu/astronomy/jay/

It's a college text book, so it may be too pricey for the group, but on Itunes there's a whole collection of video podcasts for each chapter. Seemed to me it could be fun and informative going through the materials as a group.

Thanks,
David Gwyn

• StellarVue SVS-130
  • SBIG STF-8300M
  • Paramount MyT mount

Chatty

Here is an interesting source to feed off of;

Astronomycast.com

TheDobMan

Hi all,

As Education Chair, I've wondered about resurrecting the ASG myself. Used to be, the group would agree on a book, each person bought a copy, and then the group plowed through it chapter by chapter during monthly meetings.

Alternatively, we had the "Fall Observer's Class" for members and anyone else interested. For a small fee, there would be a series of 5-6 monthly presentations. It worked for awhile, and then interest petered out. It was also hard to round up enough folks to teach each class.

I guess that any one of us is free to do podcasts and online stuff, so I don't see the "fit" for a group, unless it is done face-to-face on a regular schedule.

Sandy

Junior

The idea of everyone buying the same book and going through the contents makes great sense. I like the idea a lot. However, I wonder if we could consider different means for the exchange? I'm a 45 minute drive from South Mountain, and with two active kids and a wife with a career as busy as mine, the ability to go to a meeting or other event is challenging. However, not too long ago I earned an MBA by doing everything online. I never met a single classmate or professor. While remote work may not always be the best approach, it may be a way in this day and age to get more folks involved.

Thanks,
David Gwyn

• StellarVue SVS-130
  • SBIG STF-8300M
  • Paramount MyT mount

Chatty
28 posts :: Page 3 of 3