28 posts :: Page 2 of 3
By: Likes:

I think that the forum could reallly help to promote discussion.... people can remind themselves of what has been said during a long discussion. This is more difficult with an email digest or thread.

We can create an area that only has access via a "group list". This way, only members of that list can see or post to the forum.

I'd like to figure out how we'll do this, then, put a blurb on the front page of the website to attract those who may not have seen the original forum message.

great idea count me in

Count me in also

Hey Nick,

Count me in as well!!

Me three!

:

TheDobMan

Gary,

The short answer: There is no one who volunteered to lead this group.

The long answer: The astronomy study group goes back to the early days of LVAAS when the founders actually studied astronomy in a formal way. This included text books and assigned reading between meetings (or so I'm told)

Over the years the group deteriorated to causal get togethers where any astronomy topic was discussed, almost ad hoc. I went to several meetings when I first joined the club 4+ years ago and only 2-3 people would show up. This was not fair to the group leader who often had to travel a long way on a week night to host the meeting.

The last attempted to rekindle the group was two years ago when Nick Knisley volunteered to lead the group. The group was to be held 0n-line. However, Nick changed positions and moved out west ending that attempt before it ever go of the ground.

I guess the bottom line is: If you want an ASG volunteer to start one. That's what I did with the CCD Imagin Group. Like all things in LVAAS, it requires someone to assume the job. We are afterall a member driven club, and nothing can happen without volunteers.

Mike T

It's been about a year since this was last discussed. Given the evolution of technology and people's adaptation, is it time to reconsider trying to start up something like this again? Given an online mode of delivery, it would or could allow multiple people to contribute and not require any one person to lead every session or topic.

Great idea, count me in too.

Mark Elstein

I'm not too keen on "faceless" get togethers, but if it would help get the effort off the ground I'm willing to add my "0" and "1" to the effort.

Mike T

28 posts :: Page 2 of 3