15 posts :: Page 2 of 2
By: Likes:

[quote="MikeEddinger"]Nick... any good sources to explain why time slows down for the traveler near the speed of light? I think it has to do with refernece frames, but this one has always perplexed me. How is it that my body would age more slowly because I am on a rocket traveling near the speed of light? How can I be gone 20 years, and my body only age 20 years, while people on earth aged 60? Getting down to the most fundamental level, why have my cellular processes (relative to the person on earth) slowed? I have never been able to get a grasp on this one. Being a Meyers-Briggs ENTP, I always need to find an intuitive hook... that's tough with relativity.[/quote]Look up "time dialation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

[quote="KEddinger"]Look up "time dialation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation [/quote]That's a great link...

The image in the section "The Space-time geometry of velocity time dilation" is particularly helpful.

The one thing to always keep in mind when playing around in relativisitc settings is that your perception of your own time never changes. The only change is for the other person's perception of your experience....

The Twin paradox isn't a paradox is you don't have a real clear understanding of this idea. Grin.

In non-relativistic terms, and based on years of empirical examination, Time Dilation can best be expressed by the simple theorem “The older one gets, the faster time flies”. <G>

Merry Christmas and a Happy Chanukah to all.

Mike T

Best description I ever read was in the book "A Brief History Of Time" by Dr. Stephen Hawking. An excellent read, and written in such a way that you don't have to be a scientist to understand it.

Time - A Traveler's Guide by Clifford Pickover is a humorous, low-medium technical introduction to the math and physics of time travel.

With chapter titles "Closed Timelike Curves in a Godelian Universe" and "Rotating Cylinders and the Possibility of Global Causality Violation" you know it's got to be good!

15 posts :: Page 2 of 2