LVAAS - THE LEHIGH VALLEY AMATEUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY: Promoting, Facilitating and Teaching Astronomy Since 1957
Login

Welcome to LVAAS, Anonymous
Monday, August 21 2017 @ 01:56 PM EDT

Forum Index > Activities & General Discussion > General Astronomy Topics
 Ricketts Glenn
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Anonymous () on Sunday, July 24 2005 @ 06:56 PM EDT (Read 19755 times)  
Anonymous: Anonymous

Has anyone here camped at Ricketts Glen State Park and tried some observing? On the Clear Sky Clock page it shows a Bortle Scale rating of 4, which is better than anything around Quakertown!

Does it make a decent observing site?

Thanks
Mike Snisky
Quakertown PA

By: Anonymous: LLepage () on Wednesday, July 27 2005 @ 11:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous: LLepage

Hi MikeS,
I am totally new here, and am glad to be a part of this forum Big Grin

I have done some camping at Rickets Glenn, and IT IS a great place to star gaze!

I have a question for you, have you heard anything about Mars being close to Earth in August? I had gotten a few emails from friends that say August is a great time to view Mars, and it will be VERY close. It is supposed to look like a full moon?

Looking forward to the star party in Aug.!

By: Anonymous: Anonymous () on Thursday, July 28 2005 @ 12:14 AM EDT  

[quote="omystarz"]Hi MikeS,
I am totally new here, and am glad to be a part of this forum Big Grin

I have done some camping at Rickets Glenn, and IT IS a great place to star gaze!

I have a question for you, have you heard anything about Mars being close to Earth in August? I had gotten a few emails from friends that say August is a great time to view Mars, and it will be VERY close. It is supposed to look like a full moon?

Looking forward to the star party in Aug.![/quote]

Those emails are false. Mars was at it's closest about two years ago.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/175663.htm

If it is as big as a full moon, then, "Houston, we have a problem".

--Kevin

By: Anonymous: MikeEddinger () on Thursday, July 28 2005 @ 12:14 AM EDT  
Anonymous: MikeEddinger

where is Ricketts Glenn?

As to the Mars question, Mars was at it closest approach in thousands of years a few years ago.... 2003 I believe. There is a spoof going around on the Internet saying it will be it's closest in thousands of years, THIS YEAR. This is false!!!

By: Anonymous: KEddinger () on Thursday, July 28 2005 @ 12:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous: KEddinger

[quote="MikeEddinger"]where is Ricketts Glenn?

As to the Mars question, Mars was at it closest approach in thousands of years a few years ago.... 2003 I believe. There is a spoof going around on the Internet saying it will be it's closest in thousands of years, THIS YEAR. This is false!!![/quote]

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... sglen.aspx

By: Anonymous: Anonymous () on Thursday, July 28 2005 @ 01:53 AM EDT  

Someone just sent me the Mars "spoof" a few minutes ago. Everything about it is wrong. It will be closest to Earth October 29 not in August. The distance is wrong, the maximum diameter it will achieve is wrong also. The next time Mars puts on a show like this will be 2018 not 2085. Not sure what the intent of the bogus posting is. They are not claiming that any catastrophe will happen and that is usually the intent of the sensationalists. They (whoever they is) got the name of the planet right!

By: Anonymous: LLepage () on Friday, July 29 2005 @ 11:08 AM EDT  

So MArs WILL be close to Earth again? Are u saying we can get a good look at it? October?? I am getting confused! Will we OR won't we be able to see Mars??????

By: Anonymous: KEddinger () on Friday, July 29 2005 @ 01:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous: KEddinger

It will be closer than usual, but nowhere near what it was in 2003.

By: Anonymous: Anonymous () on Sunday, July 31 2005 @ 10:16 AM EDT  

[quote="LLepage"]So MArs WILL be close to Earth again? Are u saying we can get a good look at it? October?? I am getting confused! Will we OR won't we be able to see Mars??????[/quote]

LL,
In 2003, I believe Mars had an apparent diameter of about 25 arcseconds, but was fairly low in the sky. In November it will be about 20 arcseconds and much higher in the sky (less atmosphere, better seeing). If you look at Mars this week in the early morning, it will be almost twice this size in November. Also, it isn't going to be any giant in the EP, if you look at Jupiter right now in the Western sky at sunset, it is about 33.9 arcseconds in size. (I'm still learning this stuff, so someone please jump in if I am wrong!)

In late August I plan on taking the family to Ricketts Glen. Hopefully we can find a modern cabin with a good, unobstructed view of most of the sky. Maybe I should tell them of my ulterior astronomical motives before we go!

Mike
Quakertown PA

By: Anonymous: LLepage () on Monday, August 01 2005 @ 10:11 PM EDT  

Soundz like funnnnn, i didn't know they had cabins! we camped the old fashioned way... in tents! love it.
we will be camping in sep. at hickory run, i think, my 4yr old loves to be in the woods... of course, we will bring along our telescope, too!

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:56 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

My Account

Lost your password?