LVAAS - THE LEHIGH VALLEY AMATEUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY: Promoting, Facilitating and Teaching Astronomy Since 1957
Login

Welcome to LVAAS, Anonymous
Monday, December 18 2017 @ 05:23 PM EST

Forum Index > Astronomy Equipment and Software > Telescopes, Eyepieces, Mounts, Heaters and other Equipment
 Which Refractor would you buy?
 |  Printable Version
By: Eric Loch (offline) on Friday, November 13 2009 @ 09:19 PM EST (Read 11188 times)  
Eric Loch

Good evening all,

I've been thinking of adding a refractor to my 14" CGE scope. I've been watching with earnest the scopes from Skywatcher. Sky and Telescope seems to like them. There are two models I'm currently considering. The one is their 120mm ED APO unit or their new 150mm Refractor. I prefer viewing over imaging. Which one would you choose? I welcome your opinions since you all know a heck of a lot more about this stuff then I do. I was totally lost after 30 minutes of the great presentation this past Sunday night.

Eric

Galaxy Hunter
Forum Regular Member

Emmaus

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Joe Kazarda () on Saturday, November 14 2009 @ 12:29 PM EST  
Anonymous: Joe Kazarda

honestly I would go for a stellarvue SV115EDT or better yet the SV115T depending on your budget..

you've got quality eyepieces might as well match em with quality optics... Not that you'll get to use it a whole lot with the lousy streak of weather we've been cursed with lately.

That's just my 2 cents ...

By: Eric Loch (offline) on Saturday, November 14 2009 @ 12:35 PM EST  
Eric Loch

Thanks for your thoughts Joe.

Skies are looking good for Monday and Tues. evening. I'll be at SM on Tues. for sure.

Eric

Galaxy Hunter
Forum Regular Member

Emmaus

Profile Email Website PM

By: M_morgan (offline) on Saturday, November 14 2009 @ 07:26 PM EST  
M_morgan

Quote by: Eric Loch

Good evening all,

I've been thinking of adding a refractor to my 14" CGE scope. I've been watching with earnest the scopes from Skywatcher. Sky and Telescope seems to like them. There are two models I'm currently considering. The one is their 120mm ED APO unit or their new 150mm Refractor. I prefer viewing over imaging. Which one would you choose? I welcome your opinions since you all know a heck of a lot more about this stuff then I do. I was totally lost after 30 minutes of the great presentation this past Sunday night.

Eric

None of the above.

Forum Regular Member

Profile Email   PM

By: Eric Loch (offline) on Sunday, November 15 2009 @ 11:06 AM EST  
Eric Loch

Ok Mke,
You piqued my interest. Why none of the above? Sky & Telescope liked Skywatchers APO refractor.

Eric

Galaxy Hunter
Forum Regular Member

Emmaus

Profile Email Website PM

By: M_morgan (offline) on Sunday, November 15 2009 @ 12:25 PM EST  
M_morgan

Eric,

I think I might ask what do you hope to accomplish by getting a refractor? Are you looking for something to compliment your C14, perhaps a wide field scope, something with more portability?

APO refractors are excellent imaging scopes and small ones are a great compliment to your heavy artillery (C14). I know a great many people who wax poetically about what wonderful images their Taks and APs give them (neither scope you mentioned has the same smugness factor), truth be told I have never had better views of the planets than through well made newts.

My opinion only and as we all know everyone has an opinion among other things.

Forum Regular Member

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Joe Kazarda () on Sunday, November 15 2009 @ 05:55 PM EST  

Mike raises a good point.. If your going for visual and want a WOW factor, consider a DOB 1st.. I think otherwise your not going to use the refractor over your c14 unless your looking for a grab and go setup.. but by the time you lug the cge head, tripod, counter weights, battery, and scope your not gaining that much ease over a nice dob. They're cake to setup. add a servocat system and now you've got tracking, goto and pc capability..

By: Eric Loch (offline) on Sunday, November 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM EST  
Eric Loch

Thanks for the valuable input guys.
At this point my thoughts were to improve my planet and star cluster viewing and I would actually add the refractor to the big gun C14. I don't do any viewing at home anymore with the C14 due to the haze and light pollution in my back yard. I only use my Solar scope and once in a while my binoculars. Might just be a silly idea or the need for a new toy. I already have 25 x 40 x 100 Oberwerk binoculars. As Mike says I'm definitely not looking for a snob appeal scope. Great views and value mean a lot more to me.

Have a pleasant evening.

Galaxy Hunter
Forum Regular Member

Emmaus

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Joe Kazarda () on Sunday, November 15 2009 @ 10:36 PM EST  

Tak's and AP's don't get their excellent reputation without being proven performers.. I don't think there's anything "smug" about them...
If they weren't up to par they wouldn't be in such demand... You know what they say... "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"..
besides that I think everybody has their own threshold of what level of quality is acceptable to them.

By: Eric Loch (offline) on Monday, November 16 2009 @ 10:26 AM EST  
Eric Loch

Thanks Joe.
I guess the next level of thought is going with Stargazers 6" non APO refractor or the 120mm APO refractor. Ultimately how do I determine which one will give the crispest view. 6"'s of aperture or 4.5''s of better optics. My gut tells me in my situation to go with the APO since I already have 14''s of aperture in my SCT.

Eric

Galaxy Hunter
Forum Regular Member

Emmaus

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 05:23 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content