LVAAS - THE LEHIGH VALLEY AMATEUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY: Promoting, Facilitating and Teaching Astronomy Since 1957
Login

Welcome to LVAAS, Anonymous
Monday, August 21 2017 @ 01:55 PM EDT

Forum Index > News and Announcements > What's Hot in the Night Sky!
 Comet 17P/Holmes at magnitude 4 in Perseus
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: James () on Wednesday, October 24 2007 @ 01:25 PM EDT (Read 12199 times)  
Anonymous: James

An excerpt from Wikipedia on Comet 17P/Holmes: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17P/Holmes)

On October 23-24, 2007, the comet grew significantly brighter overnight, going from magnitude 17 to magnitude 4 in just a few hours, while in the constellation of Perseus.

Finder chart and other info:

http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/0017P/2007.html

Not a very good finder chart, but hopefully there will be some better ones by the time the clouds clear.

By: TheDobMan (offline) on Wednesday, October 24 2007 @ 03:50 PM EDT  
TheDobMan

Thanks for the info, will look for it when weather clears. Hopefully it will still be bright enough to see.

Garyde

TheDobMan
Forum Regular Member

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: James () on Sunday, October 28 2007 @ 01:08 AM EDT  

Finally got a chance to look at it a couple hours ago, when the clouds finally went away. Very bright, and very round and symmetrical, like a flower. Didn't seem to have much of a tail, and the nucleus was almost washed out in the brightness of the coma, but after looking for several seconds it could be seen slightly off center as an almost pinpoint dot.

I hope this thing stays bright for a while. Another couple days should give us a chance to see it without the Moon. I can't seem to find any information on how long it's predicted to stay bright, so if anyone comes across anything on that please post it!

By: Anonymous: James () on Sunday, October 28 2007 @ 09:24 PM EDT  

The comet appears to have split!

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, so just to be sure I had someone else look and they saw two nuclei, just as I did. One a sharp pinpoint, the other a little fuzzy. This was at magnifications of 48x and 120x.

First I thought it had to be the beginning of a tail forming, but I could clearly see between them, so I don't think so. Hopefully others will see both of them too.

Back to the scope...

By: Anonymous: James () on Sunday, October 28 2007 @ 10:08 PM EDT  

Oops, false alarm - foot in mouth (as usual). The pinpoint "nucleus" is drifting out of the coma now, so I guess it was a star in the background...

By: Mike Aulenbach (offline) on Monday, October 29 2007 @ 11:03 AM EDT  
Mike Aulenbach

The comet looked great in my 9 x 63 binos Sunday night (10-28-07) even with a very large moon nearby. Reminded me of a very large Eskimo Nebula at 9x. I skipped the board meeting to observe. Oops, hopefully Bob doesn't read this post. Check out www.skyandtelescope.com for more details. It was reported as bright as 2.5 mag.

I plan on getting the 18" Starmaster Dob out tonigt to get a higher mag view.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email   PM

By: SJPorter (offline) on Tuesday, October 30 2007 @ 08:41 AM EDT  
SJPorter

17 to 4, thats a brightness increase of 150,000. Astounding. Looked at it Saturday and Sunday nights, Imaged it on Monday night. Seams to hardly change or move. Must be heading directly away from us with it's tail preceeding it.

Coma seams to completely block out the nucleus. Surround is a definite green colour.

Can definitely see it with the naked eye even with Rothrock trying their damnedest to sell Nissan's at 2 in the morning.

Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies
Crazy about his telescope
And Galileo had a name that made his
Reputation higher than his hopes
Did none of those astronomers discover
While they were staring out into the dark
That what a lady looks for in her lover
Is Charm, Strangeness and Quark
HAWKWIND - QUARK, STRANGENESS AND CHARM

Forum Regular Member

Profile Email   PM

By: Lynn Krizan (offline) on Tuesday, October 30 2007 @ 10:05 PM EDT  
Lynn Krizan

I uploaded a photo of the comet 17p/Holmes taken with a Canon Rebel through a Megrez 80mm (10-28-07). You will be able to see the stars in the comet.

The photo is under User Galleries/Lynn Krizan

Forum Newbie

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: jjkmetz () on Tuesday, October 30 2007 @ 11:18 PM EDT  
Anonymous: jjkmetz

Comet Holmes has really turned into a fine viewing object with plenty of opportunity to see. Unlike McNaught where we had that small window before it below the horizon, this one is up all night. A bunch of us viewed it from the 6" Warden refractor on Sunday night, where we saw the two outer shells and the false second star nucleus.

But tonight it is a great binocular object visible through the local light pollution from my house in Media. Even beginners should be easily able to find it below Cassiopeia. Don't miss your chance with this one!

John

By: SJPorter (offline) on Wednesday, October 31 2007 @ 09:05 AM EDT  
SJPorter

I too have uploaded some of my images of this comet. In the general Gallery.

One thing that confuses me is why in my images the star field behind the comet show absolutely no resemblance to star fields in other peoples pictures. The comet has hardly moved 0.1minute in RA since I started looking three days ago.

It is actually visible to the naked eye from my front yard in Whitehall.

Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies
Crazy about his telescope
And Galileo had a name that made his
Reputation higher than his hopes
Did none of those astronomers discover
While they were staring out into the dark
That what a lady looks for in her lover
Is Charm, Strangeness and Quark
HAWKWIND - QUARK, STRANGENESS AND CHARM

Forum Regular Member

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:55 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

My Account

Lost your password?