LVAAS - THE LEHIGH VALLEY AMATEUR ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY: Promoting, Facilitating and Teaching Astronomy Since 1957
Login

Welcome to LVAAS, Anonymous
Thursday, March 30 2017 @ 06:48 AM EDT

Forum Index > Astronomy Equipment and Software > Telescopes, Eyepieces, Mounts, Heaters and other Equipment
 Do you have an Astro Chair?
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: MikeEddinger () on Wednesday, August 10 2005 @ 10:48 PM EDT (Read 14017 times)  
Anonymous: MikeEddinger

If so, who makes it, do you like it? I am looking to get one. At 6'2", and 270 lbs, it better be built well !!! Please give me a recommendation.

By: Anonymous: Donna () on Monday, August 15 2005 @ 10:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Donna

I have one from http://www.buyastrostuff.com/ and like it just fine. I use it as my computer chair when it isn't being used for astro stuff and the kids like it as well.

Donna

By: Anonymous: MikeEddinger () on Monday, August 15 2005 @ 11:59 PM EDT  

Thanks for the tip. The chair is actually rated to hold my weight!! YAAA! Nice price too. Many chairs seem to sell for $150 or more.

By: Anonymous: Donna () on Tuesday, August 16 2005 @ 07:17 AM EDT  

Mike,

These guys are really active on the NexStar group and are really super nice people. They go out of their way to help anyone with a question and well, they're just the sort of folks it is nice to do business with. Frank in particular, has done so much for me in terms of teaching me the ropes and encouraging my interest in astronomy.

Tell 'em Donna sent you if you buy one.

I have their "Ray's Brackets" on my NexStar 5i, too. I can swap the C5 with a Short Tube 80 which is nice for entry-level imaging.

Donna

By: Anonymous: MikeEddinger () on Tuesday, August 16 2005 @ 10:40 AM EDT  

Donna,
I see you have a C5. I bought a C5 at Xmas, because I got sick of lugging my Meade LX200 10" out all the time. I must say though, that once you have 10" of aperature, it's hard to be happy with a C5. I can't see virtually anything with it. Do you use it mainly for imaging??? I do only DSLR stuff with my 10", but have been thinking of getting a DSI and doing some quick work with the 5"... the shorter focal length would work better with the small DSI chip size.
Mike

By: Anonymous: Donna () on Tuesday, August 16 2005 @ 12:27 PM EDT  

Mike,

Yeah. Most of what I do with the C5 (N5i) is imaging. It is fine for open clusters and globs and such, but the fainter fuzzies remain way too faint. However, with a camera the little guy does just fine. The winter skies are a lot better, too, so there's always the change in season to give you a little more oomph out of the 5".

I have an MX916 camera and using the F6.3 reducer I've got massive undersampling, but that's OK. It means I can image virtually under any conditions.

I think the DSI would be a nice fit for the C5.

Donna

By: SJPorter (offline) on Thursday, September 01 2005 @ 09:52 AM EDT  
SJPorter

I use an ironing chair, very cheep, very reliable, and white so I don't trip over it in the dark, and only weighs about 10lbs, folds flat, and is usable from about 18" to 40" off ground:-

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=384376

Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies
Crazy about his telescope
And Galileo had a name that made his
Reputation higher than his hopes
Did none of those astronomers discover
While they were staring out into the dark
That what a lady looks for in her lover
Is Charm, Strangeness and Quark
HAWKWIND - QUARK, STRANGENESS AND CHARM

Forum Regular Member

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Donna () on Thursday, September 01 2005 @ 10:01 AM EDT  

Looks nice! The price is right, too.

Donna

By: Anonymous: MikeEddinger () on Thursday, September 01 2005 @ 01:00 PM EDT  

Looks nice... but at my mass, I have to be concerned with max loading, which they don't supply. Did your chair list max weight allowable when you got it? I just can't seem to find it on the website.

By: Anonymous: DonD'Egidio () on Thursday, September 08 2005 @ 05:56 PM EDT  
Anonymous: DonD'Egidio

I have the Starbound chair and it hold my 275 lb weight just fine. Get the white one. The black one was the only one available when I bought mine and it is easy to trip over in the dark.

Don

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:48 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
Filtered HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

My Account

Lost your password?